S2BC: THE PREQUEL

REMINISCING ABOUT THE HALCYON DAYS OF AUSTRALIAN IDOL 2

Sunday, October 29, 2006

R.I.P.

Tuesday, 12 October, 2004
Top 7 Results Show


R.I.P. - Ricki is pissed, and so am I.

No Ricki, no Ricki! The would-be winner is out. And, sadly, the statement "Marty is in the Top 6 of Australian Idol" is now true. It's like a sick dream. This out-Paulini's the Paulini debacle, and establishes a new Idol scandal barometer: the Rick-ter scale.



'Tis a monumentally depressing day for Australians. Who would have thought two successive senseless nation-wide votes would befall us?

Some thoughts on last night:

*Someone out there is not sleeping on Sunday nights and instead engaging in a non-stop overnight vote for Marty. While it is unclear whether that person is Marty's mum or Peter Garrett, I cannot conceive that more than one human is voting for him. He did speak for a nation though when he said to Andrew G, "Can we just get on with it?"

*In our efforts to save Casey, we neglected to direct our votes to Ricki. Obviously this was a mere failure to vote for the shoo-in, and not, as I heard on the train this morning, because Ricki resembles a chipmunk.



*Courtney is a smug little shithead.

*The hosts are actually regressing in their ability to present, if that's at all possible. Andrew G's comment to Anthony and Ricki on the couch, "I guess you're both wondering how the nation voted," was steeped in a new kind of idiocy.

*Chanel in the Bottom 2, again? I was prepared to say good-bye, given she was always destined to leave in the next couple of weeks anyway. I don't think she'd really care, actually. In fact, I'd be looking forward to some further comment on Marcia at that point, since she's clearly aware of what the Idol talking points are. I can't wait to see what the next thing is that she wants "to clear up" on stage - perhaps her own take on Anthony's recent public denial?



*Does anyone else feel the sickening prospect of a Hayley v. Marty final coming on? All I can think of is that the nation came to its senses last year after the Paulini scare and voted Millsy out. Hopefully the Ricki scandal will send Marty packing.

*I am feeling unusually bereft because I don't know where to direct my enthusiasm now. I wanted a girl to win, and as much as I love Chanel, she would be an unlikely winner, and there's no-one else worthy.

*On second thoughts, barring a drop in standard, I'm putting Chanel's voteline on speed dial until the Opera House. She's the only one there now with any unique star power and, I dare say, musicianship. Her voice is hugely imperfect and lacking in range but I can think of at least 15 major brilliant recording artists who share those flaws (Bjork, Carole King, Melissa Tkautz etc). So she's weird, polarising, and probably should speak less than she does. (A lot less.) But that's exactly what qualifies her as a star.



Let us band together and boycott all those performers whose names end in "y".

7 Comments:

  • At 2:34 AM, Blogger weasel said…

    How did you go from telling people to save Casey to telling people to boycott her?> She was clearly better than Chanel at this stage... but then I always thought Chanel was overrated...

     
  • At 3:55 AM, Blogger Scott said…

    It was all in aid of Chanel. I'm not sure I've loved a contestant more, in 4 series.

    Chanel aside, it was all about Casey, as you'll see.

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Blogger weasel said…

    ABDN: have you not heard the spook album that Chanel co-wrote and did the vocals for (with a little help from Daniel Belle)? It is actually rather good, credible portishead-esque stuff.

     
  • At 1:32 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Weasel - I haven't actually bothered to listen to the Spook album (shame on me), but your recommendation is encouraging.

    Another Bloody Dench Nom - kudos for your wonderful name. Do you think it will be prophetic as far as the next Oscars are concerned (it looks "Notes On A Scandal" is a good bet).

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger weasel said…

    Didn't Millsy get voted off BEFORE Punani?

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Yes, Millsy went out the week before Punani. However, the previous week, when Levi went, she was unjustifiably in the Bottom 2 after a brilliant performance (Freeway of Love). It was scandalous at the time.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger weasel said…

    Oh sorry, I had misread 'Paulini scare'. I didn't really watch that season of Idol very obsessively to remember such details myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home